Monday, May 22, 2006

Sunday May 14, 2006

Happy Mother's Day! That goes out to all the hens in the world. All we saw today was one hen. We opted to start out in a different part of the property in H-town today, just to see if we missed something yesterday morning. We setup in a hedgerow where I called three jakes into my Dad last year, and very close to where I called in three longbeards and a jake to Bill a few years ago. Sunrise came and nothing happened. I decided to sit tight, because it was a good place to intercept a traveling bird. Well, suddenly I caught movement out of the corner of my eye, just after a series of calls. The bird appeared out of nowhere across the field to the North and looked like it was quartering towards me. I got excited, but wasn't going to get all shook up for a hen, and I put the glasses on her and sure enough....no beard, brown, fuzzy blue head, hen! I tried so hard to put a beard on that bird, but couldn't. An out of place feather would have sufficed at that point. Anything to make it worth calling to. I called anyway, hoping her counterpart was right behind her, but no such luck. She actually had a nest in the field and circled it a few times and then sat on it. We backed out and tried the corner where we started yesterday, with no answers. We left. I had to pick up a gift for Mother's Day, and we were close to the stores, so that's what I did and the hunting was over for the weekend. I did see three jakes picking gravel at the end of a driveway along Whitney Rd. in Penfield! A damn suburban neighborhood!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home