Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Okay, it's now Tuesday October 9, 2007. Last night I took Hazzard up to the property by my old house. I used my climber in the area where I had those two nice bucks pass directly under my stand last year. The same place Dad had the buck bed near him. I put Hazzard in a climber directly uphill from the horse jump. There was more deer sign in that open oak hillside than I've seen in the last three years there. I jumped a 2.5yr old 8pt from its bed as I left Hazzard and walked to my spot. The buck was bedded in a treetop that had fallen up against the fence around the big field. As soon as that buck took off another deer on top of the rock ledge spooked too. I didn't see what it was, but it appeared small. I saw a few deer moving back in the woods on the top side of the rock ledge from my elevated position near the edge of the field. The new 6 strand high-tensile fence they put up has blocked the travel corridor that I was counting on. I hoped that the deer would parallel the field as they did last year, to find a spot to cross. The fence builders/landowners or someone with a pickup truck drove the perimeter of the field at about 5:30. This spooked a handful of deer back farther into the woods. I could only make out the movement in the thick brush in front of me. I didn't see any other deer until I was preparing to climb down at dark. A bunch of deer slipped out to the edge of the field after it was too dark to see my pins. They were about 80yds out in front of me. Hazzard had one deer crest over the ridge above him, but it was dark and he was already on the ground. It was so hot these past couple of day. Monday night I was smart enough to wear a t-shirt up the hill, then change into my camo long sleeve, after letting the breeze cool my body down and re-applying copious amounts of scent eliminator all over my body. I carried the scent spray to the stand and everytime I started to sweat, I'd cool off with the refreshing mist from my scent spray. I will probably not hunt until wednesday. I'll let ya know what happens!
--------------------------
Sent from my BlackBerry Wireless Handheld

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home